Baldwinsville On March 26, there was an apartment fire here in Baldwinsville at 116 Oswego St.
Eight families were affected. The cause of the fire was described as a cigarette and somehow a computer was involved. Two apartments were totaled and no longer standing. Neither of the tenants, the one where the fire started or the apartment next door, had renter’s insurance. That was unfortunate and stupid on their parts.
I am the tenant who lived next door. It was after 11 p.m. on Monday night. I had two of my granddaughters staying overnight because my daughter was in the hospital. They were to go to school from my home in the morning. My older granddaughter attends Durgee and my younger one attends Elden. Luckily, I was able to get them out and they were taken to safety across the parking lot. All I was able to grab were my girls and my purse.
It was terrifying to watch the fire engulf the two apartments knowing that probably not much would be saved. Then, seeing the roof collapse into the apartments. The wind was very strong that evening and the firemen were having a tough time keeping it under control.
I realize that the contents of an apartment are only stuff and material things can be replaced, but emotionally it is a drain and sentimental things are extremely tough to lose. Thank goodness my granddaughters and myself and all the tenants were safe.
When I drive by the apartment complex (Town Square Apartments), it is devastating to see my apartment totally gone. The two lower apartments are only standing on that section of the complex.
The American Red Cross was very helpful and I am very grateful for what they did for us on the spot. Maybe we could have all rallied together and tried to help each other get through what happened. I did hear that there was a benefit held for the other family that lost everything. It would have been nice to have had that happen to me. Once again, if we had all rallied together, who knows what might have happened.